queerspoons: A painted Q on a glass window (Q Window)
[personal profile] queerspoons
Ever since I started exploring my gender identity on this blog, I realized how much I identify with trans* and genderqueer issues. I don't think I'd ever really parsed that completely before. Blame it on me shoving it to the back of my mind all those years of religious upbringing and ex-gay therapy, I don't know. I never let myself think about it. I had one box, one label I had to fit, and I was determined to fit it. It's been very freeing not to have to fit in that box anymore.

In the meantime, it is absolutely making my life better when I find stories about children identifying their trans* or genderqueer nature at a young age, especially when their parents are supportive (even if they often remain clueless about the intricacies of gender identity).

This was one such.



Kindergarten Complications
What the journey of transitioning from female to male means for a five-year-old in Silverton, and for those around him
By Megan A. Gex

Editor’s Note: Silverton native Megan A. Gex is a fourth-year magazine journalism and digital art major at the University of Oregon. Her mother, Susie, was Oliver’s kindergarten teacher and was intimately involved in his transition into grade school, as well as his gender identification process. Over the past two years, Gex and her mother have continued to be in contact with the family, and follow Oliver’s progress. The family’s last name has not been included to respect their privacy. Gex can be reached at megangex@gmail.com.

At first glance, Oliver is a healthy, jovial seven-year-old boy.

In the schoolyard he’s known for his gelled faux-hawk, and his favorite color is blue. His favorite book is The Dangerous Book for Boys. He loves to sprint the 200-meter in track and watch Sponge Bob on the weekends with his best friend. His rambunctious attitude and boyish tendencies belie a core reality: Oliver was born a girl.

(read the rest at justout.com)

Profile

queerspoons: a purple irony mark, which looks like a stylized backwards question mark (Default)
queerspoons

September 2010

S M T W T F S
   1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122 232425
2627282930  

Most Popular Tags

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Sep. 14th, 2026 02:04 am
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios